MGTDEV-L Archives

August 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ken Bast <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Management & Executive Development Discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 08:26:04 -500

We are in the process of implementing a 360-degree feedback system at our
company.  I am very interested in your ideas and experience on this subject.
 I have taken much of the discussion about selection of the actual
instrument to heart..  We have selected one that we feel will meet
recommended standards and our needs.

This request focuses on what can be done, or what has been done to make sure
the process is effective, successful, and well received.

We are using the 360 feedback exclusively for developmental purposes. (We
have 300 employees, about 40 of our  managers, Dept. heads and Executives
will be assessed). We intend to make this an annual process.

Some questions.
What do people do to prepare the raters? Since many of our raters are not
centrally located a meeting or workshop is probably out of the question.
 They could get verbal instructions but those would have to come from their
manager(the person they will be rating).

Does anyone know of a particularly good writing that they feel expresses the
purpose and intent of 360 feedback to reference as a position statement?

What have you done to prepare the people who will be rated?  These people do
get together monthly so a meeting/workshop would be possible.

What have you done to present the results and debrief?  The instrument we
have selected does generate recommendations for a development plan,
including resources.  Again because these people do get together monthly a
meeting or workshop is possible.  Does anyone know where I could find an
outline for such a meeting?  This group is very hungry for feedback,
direction, and training and development.  I am currently facilitating  a 6
month leadership training with them and they are very receptive.  I have
developed excellent rapport and trust with them.

When using 360 feedback for developmental purposes who else sees the
individuals report? Their manager? HR?

An article in June P&I by David Lassiter "A User Guide to 360 Feedback"
talks about "a recommended practice" of the rater sharing the results of the
assessment with the assessors. ASTD Info-Line "How to Build and Use a
360-Degree Feedback System" also recommends this.   Is this common practice?
Is it effective? Do they also share the results of their development plan
with their manager?

How do you create accountability for the development plan? (Assuming you can
since the process itself is not supposed to be used as part of the
review/raise process)

Lastly what if any prep is done with the managers of people who will be
rated, in terms of describing their role in the process?  What is their role
in the process?

As you can see the questions are more about facilitating the process.  We
feel good about the instrument, the feedback it generates, our ability to
process the data, and in general our managers receptivity to the process.
  We just want to make sure we implement the process in such a way that our
managers get the most out of it.

If there is anything else you would recommend  from your experience (that I
am so ignorant of I didn't even ask the question) please feel free to
include it.

Thank you for you input.  I will of course summarize and report back to the
list.

Sincerely,

Ken Bast
Training Manager