MGTDEV-L Archives

December 1997

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jane Schmidt-Wilk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Management & Executive Development Discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 17:03:33 -500
Please excuse multiple postings.

Can anyone recommend any readings to help me put together a syllabus for a
PhD Seminar? I've just been asked to take over a course that starts in
January and do some research projects with the students. Of necessity, the
course is being structured around some projects that have been sitting in my
filing cabinet. And given the schedule, I have very little time to prepare.
If you have any recommendations about the following topics that you can
share with me, that would be a great help.

Absenteeism: One project will involve analyzing some data on absenteeism in
an insurance company. I'd like to identify the key trends of thought on this
issue. Do you have any suggested readings?

Observation: I have some video-taped interviews that I would like to play
for the class as an exercise in developing observation skills for
qualitative research. The tapes are in a foreign language and so the
exercise would really be observational, not text analysis, which is the kind
of work I've done in the past. What readings could you suggest that could
guide us in this endeavor?

You may reply to me directly at [log in to unmask]

Thank you all very much and have a Happy New Year.

Jane Schmidt-Wilk, Ph.D.
School of Business
Maharishi University of Management
Fairfield, IA   52557