MKTALUM Archives

January 1996

MKTALUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marketing Alumni of Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 09:14:10 -0500
SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump

RE: Consciousness

Darwin's Theory of Evolution, Freud's sub-conscious, Rumi and The
Cranial Fire and the Origins of the way we think by Robert
Ornstein (Prentice Hall 1990)

Emotions tell us what is important. We remember events with
emotional content, a death, a life threatening event, first
babies, news of shocking disasters. When messages have an
emotional "hook" they are more likely to be remembered and effect
behavior. This is the key to sales, advertising, political
marketing, education, relationships, beliefs and religion, and
most social psychological behavior. This is why the evening
"news" tries to "shock" us, to get us aroused, so we respond to
the commercials. The "entertainment" contains progressively more
"shocking" material because as we get used to violence, sex,
strong graphics, it fails to "surprise" and more is needed. We
have a biological program to respond to "something wrong" or
strange, loud sounds, monsters and tigers.

Emotions start in complex biological responses of the Brainstem (
Reticular Activating System RAS ); the ancient Cerebellum and the
Limbic System, hypothalamus, and pituitary gland with a outbreak
of electrical and chemical messages. The glans, hormones and
sympathetic nervous system respond automatically to perceptions
of danger. The fight/flight or stress response prepares the body
to fight or flee, and is experienced as fear and anger.

When we perceive that "something is wrong", there is some
information in the environment that does not fit the pattern of
our expectations. The body-mind responds with faster heart rate,
raised blood pressure, respiration, perspiration, salivation, eye
pupil size, decreased skin resistance (GSR), and we are
physically ready to fight or run. Somewhere about 95% of body-
mind activity is pre-conscious, only being interpreted by the
higher functions of the mind after the fact.

We all feel "there is something terribly wrong with us". We have
a hard time believing we are "the perfect creation of a loving G-
D." We come from clay, rocks, plants, animals who are perfect in
being themselves. Therefore we are subject to having "our strings
pulled", "being jerked around" by passions we don't understand or
control.

Rapid social change, partly caused by run away technology, has
created the sense of danger all around us. "Thing are not what
they are supposed to be" in the small town world of Rush Linbough
and millions of our fellow citizens. The biological response
feels danger from "change" in sexual roles, the behavior of
children, in a global economy at the end of the industrial
revolution. The NEW social-economy promotes quick, rapid,
inventive, innovative, creative complex technologies and
information processing abilities. The humans raised in an
industrial system, step by step, top down, sequential concrete
ordered and planned factories and factory schools, FEEL the New
World Order as dangerous to their survival, and they are right.

There is no reason to believe the patterns of the body-mind can
be rewired. There is NOT a wonderful track record of society
being the instrument of creating a "new" human type as the
product of social engineering. Salivation by faith, by society,
or any institutional means church or state has dramatically
failed, along with the established church and the Soviet Union.

The moral and personal choice of "reality" vs. "illusion". the
good, the true and the beautiful, is all there is and all there
ever was. We have a 1000's minds, and capacities. Our talents can
be liberated from the fog of social habits. Only I can do it, and
only you can do it, and maybe we can do it together - called
synergy.

SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump is where YOU
can collaborate with the future using Interactive Education and
Training on your own Web pages. Join, Beta Testers free.
** Peter E. Pflaum Ph.D. , Headmaster GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE
225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609
[log in to unmask]                            [log in to unmask]