MKTALUM Archives

November 1995

MKTALUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marketing Alumni of Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 09:08:26 -0500
The problem with Frontline, and the MEDIA understanding of the NET is they
rae in the broadcast mode - the WEB is narrowcasting.
This is to confirm conversation of yesterday (Oct 31) that we
will arrange a SLIP/PPP connection with 5 mb of home pages (FTP)
files which I will transfer from Dynasty and maintain from here
(using FTP and/or NT peer-to-peer connections) The cost will be
$50.00 a month (or $500.00 a year). I will use MCI for bulk mail.
We will get a domain name like synergy.netctrl.com ? Maybe I like
synergy better than the Golden Globe, Global Village School
house, .. This is the point of what we are doing - we are
inventing the future..

Did you see FrontLine Last night. Good program I learned a few
things about the commercial side but I don't think they got it
quite right. Why interview "futurist" who say the future is
uncertain - as if we didn't know. The job is to develop possible
futures and "WORK" for those we want.. It's not a passive
observation of what they "corporations" will do to "us" the
consumer. The family they showed was passive - sit back for
entertainment - more movies ?

Save a trip to Blockbuster? Maybe that is a corner of a market
but the social and Economics will not be really interesting if
it's in more movies ? An electronic Mall - good grief.. What
social live will there be without the MALL.. Church.. bank,
travel agency, these are human contacts as well as commercial
transactions - well the ATM was resisted for awhile - people
wanted a "person" - they got used to it.

The netscape, yahoo, examples are more to the point - quick start
venture capital target special needs. NARROWCASTING or individual
casting. Not only the Washington Post on line ( an electric
newspaper ) but Information on line from the publishers, from
book stores, from all over on new books (electric books), this is
the problem of breeding electronic Ponies for the pony express
rather than looking for opportunities in a really new system like
the telegraph.  It's not just doing what you did before with new
tools (sure a lot of that too) but really new things in new ways.

Note on Educational Technology:
The only technology to really affect public schools in the last
100 years has been the blackboard - (OK maybe the overhead -
telephone ? School BUS, very little from radio, movies, TV, ) the
school system remains unchanged since the 1860's, then age of
railroads - except it doesn't perform as well, a curriculum set
up is 1980, school days so kids could plant and reap, no math
invented since the 16'th century, almost no qualified science
teachers, 50% of graduates are functional illiterates, the top 2%
on national test have less education ( They know and can do less
with language, math, science, geography, etc the Average American
student is last is all international competitions, the Nation is
At RISK ! and nothing happens ...) than the average student in 10
of 13 industrial countries, overhead has increased 100% in two
decades, cost have doubled, quality had declined.  It's a market
ripe for plucking - Silvan learning center growing at 100% a year
doing basics because teachers don't know how to teach basics,
either do their professors in schools of education that get the
lowest 25% of the talent pool.

I want to start a national charter computer school. I think we
can get part of the public dollar because the civil rights of
citizens are being denied by poor quality education. The court
could find, Just as black kids could not get a fair start in all
black school - so your kids can not get a fair start in a Global
economy in most public schools, sure maybe Scarsdale, Shaker
Heights, Highland Park, but do you all live there ? Is this equal
protection of the laws, is this the foundation of a democratic
society, is the economic future of a super-power, do we want a
economy dependent of foreign skilled labor, (more that 50% of
graduate students in high tech are foreign, 30% of the domestic
students are of oriental origin, is this fair ? )

When IBM looked at Xerox copies they studies the number of
carbons people used - they didn't understand that new technology
generates its own uses. They said there would be 64,000 PC in
1975, they we off by a factor of 100. This is forecasting at the
end of a tunnel - tunnel vision. Open up to the big blue sky
theory.

Follow the money trail.. services, contacts, information,
entertainment, sales - depends on the person and the time and
place. There is this big INTERNET growing at 15,000 pages a week,
maybe 17 million North American users (50% on services like AOL
??? growing at a million a month ??? 35 million world wide.. More
Computers sold than TV, the price of Netscape greater then CBS ??
all kinds of special markets. (fishermen, games, politics,
interactive tack shows and soaps, 1000's of services) How do they
get money - maybe subscription fees, maybe ad's, maybe part of a
general fee ( like a cable package) maybe because people just
want to do it ?

Now in EDUCATION and training there are 30,000 people involved as
providers of  Distance Education (wild guess) maybe 650,000
students doing remote classes, maybe 1 1/2 to 2% of the market
(includes industrial or commercial training - 50% of a 500
billion business, defense schools, special needs, public
education, colleges, inservice requirements for teachers,
accountants, doctors, other professionals, so 1 or 2 % is less
than a billion $ now using remote services. This could be 10
billion by this time next year. Most current services are doing
mostly pony express on the electronic network.
Here are the lectures - dates - reading - test - just like in
traditional teacher talk and textbook classrooms - Some e-mail
exchange - a few conferences - chat - but still an electric pony.
NOW What ???

I really new thing (Like John Dewey in 1905, Markarenko in the
1920"s, OUTWARD bound) is real interactive groups learning to
learn on the web and in work groups. Maybe MOO/Mud maybe Hot
Java, maybe something not yet here. More bandwidth (wireless or
cable or space via Motorola Clark communications systems. a plan
proposed by Clark (2001) in 1948 for 65 low flying (200 miles up
rather than 22,000) orbiting transponders) Maybe the market is in
in-service certification for accounting, medical updates, work
group set ups, you have a project we have the facilities for LAN
on WINS. Distribution and library guides.. files and transfer -
Go with the flow. We have a few interested in WISDOM, learning to
learn - we have a few interested in METHOD - electric
communications - We have a few interested in relationships -
people to people contacts

[log in to unmask], and [log in to unmask] http://gold.doi.com
ftp://205.245.0.203 also the WINS on gg (Golden Globe) IP pflaump.ip.america.com
199.170.102.102 The Golden Globe and Village.. schoolhouse and office