MKTALUM Archives

November 1995

MKTALUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marketing Alumni of Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:02:34 -0500
SYNERGY-NET on http://mall.turnpike.net/~pflaump

RE: Human Synergistics (International) [log in to unmask]

What I am doing on the URL is to experiment with groups within
existing technology and explore the possibilities of future
technologies. Now people can communicate by E-mail, as we are
doing. We could join Chat groups, a newsgroup, or newsletter on
synergy, some of us have I-phone, CuSeeMe, et al. Netscape now
integrates E-mail, newsgroups, (listserv mail), and will have FTP
very soon (I guess). What about Synergy in this technology The
system itself is a product of synergy, a lot of people doing
different things but connected to the WWW, and the process takes
off like crazy ?

Most human interaction involves non-verbal, visual and sense
perception clues. We piece together our realities using the vast
resources of body-mind experience, conscious and un-conscious
perceptions - tone of voice, body language, context,
transference, projection, syntax, and the more we know about bio-
chemical and neurological aspect of perception and information
processing the more wonderful human social perceptions become,
but they are internal and subject to vast and uncertain error.

So, we have a human animal evolved on the basis of groups, of
group dynamics involving language and empathic symbolic
projections called synergy. Can some of this energy be done at a
distance on the tools now possible or will it happen in the near
future with better tools. Have you looked at remote work-groups
and how a "meeting", joint effort work at a distance ? Building
constructive styles, affiliative, humanistic, support groups
working together but physically apart must be very different than
face to face.

I have developed a set of group activities designed to encourage
the Constructive styles you find in your research make for
productive groups. The activities are designed to work through
the aggressive and passive barriers that prevent groups form
"turning on". Any teacher knows when the light is turned on, when
the groups takes off, there is excitement in the air, and synergy
happens. Can we promote that outcome ( in a statistically
significant way ) in a sample of groups ? Can it be done at a
distance ?

Your methods seem to depend on the awareness of problems helps in
solving problems. Sure, but the next step are structured
activities that encourage the desired outcomes - by practice in
open and creative groups. How do you learn anything, practice,
practice, practice. How do you change perceptions, by changing
the ecology, the climate, the environment and giving people
experience in the new methods, atmosphere, in the new world
order. The new economy require creative, innovate people. The old
school system produces factory workers, who don't know what to do
when they have no instruction, and it's never been done before. I
am doing everyday something never done before. So are thousands,
or millions of others. It's not an orderly, step-by-step process
and we need help, the support and creativity of a group. And a
high tolerance for mess, sloppiness, mistakes, and false starts.
7up. (what happened to # 1 to 6) No one get's it right from the
beginning.

Classroom techniques, workshops, and even remote Web based
activities may work well enough to make a difference.

SYNERGY-NET on http://mall.turnpike.net/~pflaump is where YOU can
collaborate with the future using Interactive Education and
Training on your own Web pages. Join, Beta Testers free.
** Peter E. Pflaum Ph.D. , Headmaster GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE
225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609
[log in to unmask]                               [log in to unmask]