MU-VMS Archives

July 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
March Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 01:03:20 -0400
In article <1994Jul19.180800.27222@miavx1>,
[log in to unmask] (Kent Covert) wrote:
: In article <1994Jul19.134540.27216@miavx1>,
[log in to unmask] writes:
: > If I have a file that I want available for someone to come
: > in and ftp, is there a way to do it without giving that
: > person my password.  I tried changing the file protection
: > such that world had full access, but that didn't do the
: > trick.
:
: Assuming that the other person has an account on our system, then giving
: them world read access to the file and your directory should be enough.
: Don't forget to give world read access to your directory.  Many people
: forget this part.  The command to do so (from your login directory) is:
:   $ SET FILE/PROT=(W:RE) [-]userid.DIR
: where 'userid' is your userid.
:
: If the person has an account on our system, though, FTP isn't necessary.
: Just do a copy.  For example:
:   $ COPY [ACS.KACOVERT]FILE.DAT []
: will copy the file FILE.DAT from my directory into the current directory.
: You still need world read access on both the file and directory as above.
:

If it's a one-time thing, doesn't SEND still work?  All this messing with
permissions gets a little tedious for one file.  On the VAX, you could
just type:
$ SEND filname
and it would prompt you for the destination (as I recall).  Of course,
it assumed that it was a text file, so you had to be sure to put /VMSDUMP
for binaries.  I don't think it works for sending to other systems, though,
either.

John

---
John (the other) Carmack