MU-VMS Archives

September 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Andrew J. Larson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:35:21 -0500

>         MiaVX1 (general use, WWW, etc):         2.5 Mb ( 5,000 blocks)
>         PO (e-mail only)                        5.0 Mb (10,000 blocks)
>         Novell (general use)                    5.0 Mb
>                                         Total  12.5 Mb

hmm...that's interesting.  your provost mentioned nothing of a spread between
platforms.  come to think of it...I remember she didn't know much about it
(when, what exactly).  I hope your superiors are well imformed of all this
technology.  I could understand if this news is very recent...

> The increases on MiaVX1 (specifically, Sea, the interactive component of
> MiaVX1) and PO (Stream, which serves POP mail) will occur first.  Additional
> disk is on order and should be installed sometime later this semester.

great!  one question.  why such a large po quota (contrasted to www space)?
is this assuming people won't delete any mail off of the server the entire 4
years as a student?

> The disk space on Novell has only recently been approved in principle, and is
> still in the planning stage, with no target date yet determined.

this is a great idea... I just dread the learning curve.  trying to explain the
new Eudora switch is bad enough... it seems simple enough to us, but I don't
know if the typical student is ready for these things...
hopefully it won't be too bad of a switch after the coming print charging thing.
more problems... ;)

thanks for the clarification.

Andy