MU-VMS Archives

October 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 23:26:58 -0500
Jon Pixley ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: In the past, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) was available on the VAX to those who
: had access to the Miami Computer User's Group library.  There was some sort
of
: link set up to the IRC server at Indiana University.  The few times I tried

: I propose that The Powers That Be take a look into either setting up an IRC
: server at/for Miami or setting up an official link that can be accessed from
: any platform at Miami and accessed in the same way so that a person could
: easily switch platforms and see little or no difference.  Both of these are
: possible with current technology, but I'm not sure how difficult or expensive
: either of these would be.  Still, I think that there is enough potential need
: for Miami students and faculty to have IRC access that it should be given
: serious consideration.

  The VMS IRC client is working currently (and more stable than it has
been in the past).  However, it currently points to an IRC server in
colorado (since I don't know the address for Indiana's...someone care
to email it to me?).  It is available in the MCUG libraries as it was
before.  If you need help setting it up, email me.
  There is also an "unofficial" one publically available from my
account on the NeXT machines (look in ../mgjones/Unix/bin from your
home directory).  It also points to Colorado.  Both are ircII clients.
I'll change both to point to Indiana if someone gives me the current
address.  (unofficial meaning I run it from my account, so don't
bother the admins about IRC problems).
  Finally, although I supply IRC client access, I don't claim to be
an expert in using IRC, so beyond setting it up, you may be better
off posting problems you have using IRC channels, etc...
  This isn't exactly what you were looking for, but it's a start ;).
Michael G. Jones <Finger Me for PGP Key>  Miami University, Oxford, OH
[log in to unmask]  http://nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu/~mgjones