MU-VMS Archives

May 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 16:34:26 -0500
David Munday <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Any ideas?  I've tried an assortment of quots, double quotes, quotes around th
> whole mess.

Idea #1:  Use UNIX.  alias altavista='lynx http://www.altavista.digital.com'
        'nuff said.

Idea #2:  altavista :== 'lynx' ""http://www.altavista.digital.com""

> You ought to be able to tell the parser to leave the thing alone!

I think that's what this does.  I created a hack of the lynx.com script that
printed out the parameters it would send to lynx.exe without actually
calling it, then tested that with and without the double double quotes.
With:
http://www.altavista.digital.com
Without:
HTTP://WWW.ALTAVISTA.DIGITAL.COM

So evidently, without the quotes the lynx.com script gets ahold of it and does
evil nasty things (i.e. changing the case).  It would appear lynx itself
is case sensitive, and this is what causes the file not found error.  For
example, try
$ lynx HTTP://WWW.ALTAVISTA.DIGITAL.COM

You'll get exactly the same error as you were earlier.  I guess the double
double quotes allow the text to stay small case, and thus intelligible to
lynx.

Another example of OpenVMS ""security through obscurity""?

mc
M I C H A E L   C L A R K S O N

Network Support                |  Systems Analysis (Formal Methods)
School of Applied Science      |          --Double Major--
Miami University of Ohio       |     Music Performance (Piano)