MU-VMS Archives

July 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis S. Keeler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 1995 23:35:38 -0500
In article <1995Jun30.215352@miavx1>, [log in to unmask] (Dennis S.
Keeler) writes:
>         Is is possible to set up the new news to only load unread messages
into
> local storage (memory, hard disk, whatever) when you select a newsgroup. I
ask
> this because it now takes about 15 seconds to enter rec.arts.sf.starwars. I
> imagine it is because about 1800 messages are being copied from
nntp.muohio.edu
> to miavx1. But I only need to be able to read the 4 that I haven't seen yet.
>         There should be a way to go back and ask for previously read
messages,
> but I think the default should be to only copy over the small number of
unread
> messages. Thanks.

        I answered my own question. From the help page of "set
profile/display="

ALLITEMS    This directs NEWS to display all items in each newsgroup.

         UNSEENITEMS This directs NEWS to only display unseen item entries
                     in every newsgroup.

         UNSEENSTACK This directs NEWS to only display item entries for those
                     items commencing with the first unseen item.

        There are some other parameters for set profile/display also that have
to do with showing postmark dates and something else I can't remember. Anyway,
it seems "set profile/display=unseenstack" does what I want. (BTW, ALLITEMS is
the default.)
--
Dennis S. Keeler                |  "Greater love has no one than this, that
Miami University                |    he lay down his life for his friends."