MU-VMS Archives

April 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:39:14 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (aar
on t porter) writes:

>       So, for $1200, including shipping, we have enough disk space to
> give student users a 5MB disk quota, including a spare drive for recovery
> purposes, and an over-estimate of 100%.  Might have to throw another
> hundred dollars or so in for an external enclosure, and another hundred
> for cabling which brings us to $1400 or just under $0.88 per user.

> my .02 -- flames welcome.

Well you left out the cost of the drive controller card which
may or may not be needed, for an Alpha that'll be a little
pricey.  And, most importantly, you forgot the policy/plan
that says, thou shall buy only drives that Digital supports
and repairs. Inexpensive PC drives do not fall into this catagory
and therefore shoots a big hole in the plan.

--
Bill Sylvester, Miami University         [log in to unmask]