MU-VMS Archives

April 1998

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:18:10 -0400
Outage notification:

Type: Unplanned
Date: Monday, April 13th
Time: 8:45
Duration: 15 min
Posted by: SCHMIDKF

VMS - Ocean

I am sorry if this is a duplicate message of what you received before, I am ente
ring this into the outage database.

***********

This morning between 8:45 am and 9:00 am the VMS machine called OCEAN was unavai
lable.

Problem:

During this time the backup process hung because it had a parameter too low.  Ap
parantly the backup process had some critical files locked that were needed by o
ther applications (like Target).

After consulting with Digital, the problem with the parameter too low on the BAC
KUP account was discovered.  Unfortunately, the only way to have the BACKUP acco
unt relinquish the locks it had out was to reboot the system.

Services affected:

www.muohio.edu, PH, Gaus, Help Desk software (Target), batch jobs, etc.

If you are still experiencing problems, please contact MCIS Help Desk at ext. 97
900.

This is a Service Outage Notification
from Miami University's Network Operations Center (NOC)