MU-VMS Archives

February 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Aaron D. Yonka" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 12:54:29 -0500
In article <1995Feb20.110026.40019@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Michael Jones) writes:
> Just a note to people using Aaron Yonka's PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM:
>
> In Aaron's public_login.com program, it display's the message:
>
> NOTICE:  Use of ADYONKA's Public Access LOGIN.COM
> is free and voluntary.  However, users are required to
> register their use via electronic mail.
>
> Please send these requests to ADYONKA, not MCUG_MGR.  Some people are
> getting confused about that because Aaron's public_login.com calls
> the MCUG_LOGIN.COM which says to send questions/problems to MCUG_MGR.
> MCUG's login utility does not require (or ask for) any type of
> registration.
>
> The part of ADYONKA's public_login.com that displays the message:
>
> Executing MCUG_LOGIN... type MCUGHELP for details.
> *** Send any questions/problems to MCUG_MGR ***
>
> is a totally separate login program that is not run or supported by
> ADYONKA, but by MCUG instead (as goes with the opposite, MCUG does
> not support anything ADYONKA has in his PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM).

Oops.  I had never read it that way.  I've made massive changes to my stuff to
try to avoid such misunderstandings in the future.

As of today, my public_login.com will display the following messages during
login:

* PLEASE!  If you are running ADYONKA's PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM and are trying to   *
* register your use of ADYONKA's PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM, send mail to ADYONKA, not *
* to MCUG_MGR.  Problems with the MCUG Utilities should be sent to MCUG_MGR  *
* and problems with ADYONKA's PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM should be sent to ADYONKA.    *
*                                                                            *
* My public_login.com is not part of the MCUG-supported utilities on this    *
* system.  However, my public_login.com does execute the MCUG utilites.      *
* Registration of the MCUG utilities is not required.  If you desire to be   *
* informed of any changes in my public_login.com, then please send email to  *
* ADYONKA.                                                                   *
*                                                                            *
* DO NOT SEND EMAIL REGARDING ADYONKA'S PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM TO MCUG_MGR.        *
*                                                                            *
*                              --Aaron D. Yonka (adyonka)                    *

(and a few moments later...)

Now connecting to the Miami Computer Users' Group (MCUG) Utilities...

Any questions regarding MCUG or the MCUG Utilites should be sent to MCUG_MGR.
Problems or questions about adyonka's public_login.com should be sent to
adyonka.

ADYONKA'S PUBLIC_LOGIN.COM IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MCUG.

(At this point, the MCUG utiliies are run, and then...)

Now returning to adyonka's public_login.com...

Any questions regarding MCUG or the MCUG Utilites should be sent to MCUG_MGR.
Problems or questions about adyonka's public_login.com should be sent to
adyonka.

> On a final note, if you don't run either of the above and want to
> access the MCUG utilities, place the following line in your LOGIN.COM
> file:
>
> $ @user_lib:[mcug.apps.mcug_login]mcug_login.com
>
> and it will take effect the next time you log in.  (type mcughelp at
> that point for some help on different apps that will then be available
> to you).
>
>                       -- MCUG VMS Utility Library Manager
>    It keeps everything from happening at once."  | Finger Me for More Info

The MCUG Utilities are a Good Thing.  I've always liked them.  However, I
always felt that there should be additional "commands" (actually, just command
abbreviations) that users could use instead.  This probably stems from when I
was a newuser and used Crash's login.com.  Gosh, I feel old.

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention.

--
Aaron D. Yonka

[log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
http://phoenix.aps.muohio.edu/users/adyonka/home.html