MU-VMS Archives

October 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James McCutcheon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 1994 19:19:15 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> program called TERM. It IS possible for him to actually log on. The problem,
> however, is that his function keys don't work which makes it virtually
> impossible for him to use the enduser. Esc. combined with function keys
> doesn't work and neither does his numeric pad. Typing commands works in
> some cases but ALSO causes the screen to freeze quite frequently.

The reason the PF keys aren't working is probably because of incomplete mapping
-- the terminal doesn't have a key (or key-combination) that simulates the
pressing of the PF key in question. When I'm using JR-Comm (another common
Amiga terminal program), I can press ESC and then the number of the PF key I
want to use, although I can periodically get the keypad to simulate an actual
VT-100 terminal (like the kind they *used* to have in the labs). If you'd like
a shareware version of Jr-Comm (or it's successor, Terminus), they're available
via FTP on the AmiNET.

> way the function keys would be defined and it would be a lot easier to
> use ENDUSER.

Enduser (the menuing system itself) can be accessed by typing EXEC ENDUSER, or
simply ENDUSER at the "Ready." prompt. Then you can just type the number of
your choice. Once you go into a specific function, however, it's more likely
that you'll need to use PF keys.

Of course, the way I would get around this (and have), is to simply use the AXP
machine whenever possible. It doesn't require PF keys for anything.

Hope this helped.
James
- - - - -
James McCutcheon - JRMCCUTCHEON@MIAVX1

"I'd rather believe that you were reacting to the fact that I didn't
 make a decision, rather than make a decision myself."-- Jason Baker