MU-VMS Archives

August 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
March Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 09:14:27 -0400
In article <1994Aug30.112355.28565@miavx1>,
[log in to unmask] (James McCutcheon) wrote:
:> :This precludes the use of 8-bit word length, and I am unable to transfer
any
:> :files from the VAX to my PC, unless I want to use (gulp) Kermit.  Will the
:> :8-bit connection be available any time soon?
:> As a work-around, you could get an updated Kermit client, set your packet
:> lengths to 1000, set blocks to 2 and get decent Kermit downloads.  Note
:
:Do you have a similar solution for an Amiga user who has no intention of
:getting a PC in the next decade or so?
:

Sure, buy a Mac instead :)  Who says that PC's are the only alternative?

Seriously, though, if the Amiga C-Kermit is outdated (like a lot of other
platforms are), then you _could_ get the source code from the same site and
tweak it up to par.  Many of the modules are interchangeable among platforms,
but many are not.  The main problem is that the last time I tried to compile
their source, on an approved platform (nothing fancy), the compile bombed.
So, I guess it depends on how determined you are.  I was not, since the
executable was only an ftp away.

As a side note, even older C-Kermit programs can be improved by bumping up
the packet-lengths.  You'll have to play with the settings to see what bombs
out and what does not.  You won't get great transfer rates, but you'll at
least be able to transfer.

I'm surprised that Kent hasn't jumped in on this thread yet.  With the MIAVX1
service having moved to Hoyt, will 8-bit service ever be re-established?

And, if it will be, are there any plans for the MCUG library to update its
zmodem implementation?

John
----
Mome Raths BBS, Oxford, OH, (513)523-7887
OS/2, DOS, Windows, Pix, 28.8 modem