MU-VMS Archives

April 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Robert G. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:22:07 -0400

 [log in to unmask] (Robert E. Williams, Jr.) writes:
> > It does work on the Alpha. However, isn't it true that the route you get
> > when you do a traceroute isn't necessarily the same as the one a given
> > telnet connection is taking?
>
> Correct.  In fact, you could get a different route from one traceroute to
> another.
>
> --
>                                      Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
>                                      Miami Computing and Information Services
>                                      Miami University, Oxford, OH

While this is true, it has been my experience that when a router goes
down, that is the one they will link you to.  (You can bank on it).

Also, the route does not seem to change all that often, ideally you are
supposed to be routed around slower machines (or broken machines), but
unless you pay Sprint/MCI for this service, you are stuck with what you
get.  (A friend of mine can make it to california in 7-9 hops while I get
close to 20, he pays sprint)

Rob Wilson