MU-VMS Archives

October 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Aaron D. Yonka" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 07:35:07 -0500
In article <1995Oct29.124937@miavx1>, [log in to unmask] (R.E. Willi
ams, Jr.) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to write a program that will alow me to use an alias with the
> SEND command. To do this, I am trying to modify a program that Kent Covert
> gave me a while back that lets you use aliases with the FINGER command. It
> sort of works, but it only sends the first word of the message. It also

You don't really need a program to do this.  Just add lines to your LOGIN.COM
file that read like this:

$ define nickname userid

For example, suppose I have the line in my LOGIN.COM
$ define bill gatesb

If, for some unknown reason, I wanted to send a message to gatesb, I just type:

$ send bill "Hello, Mr. Gates."

Or, of course, I could just type

$ send bill

and type text at the (MIAVX1)GATESB:  prompt.  No quotes needed in this mode.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.
--
Aaron D. Yonka

http://phoenix.aps.muohio.edu/~adyonka/