MU-VMS Archives

January 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kent Covert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 07:57:02 -0500
In article <1995Jan24.212018.37752@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Clayton L. Hines) writes:
> I'm trying to make a decent NEWS.INI file, complete with some nifty custom
key
> bindings, but I have one problem -- how do I get a carriage return bound at
the
> end of a def /key command?  I've tried all of the following:
>
> DEFINE /KEY KP9 "UP 20^M"
> DEFINE /KEY KP9 "UP 20 ^M"
> DEFINE /KEY KP9 "UP 20"^M
> DEFINE /KEY KP9 ""UP 20" ^M
>
> None of these has worked.  I'm thinking maybe it's some other sort of switch,
> but the HELP file is no help.  If anyone could reply, as a post or as mail,
it
> would be greatly appreciated.

You're right.  The HELP file on this isn't very helpful.  You need to add
the /TERMINATE qualifier.

BTW, here is a description of all of the DEFINE/KEY qualifiers.

Command Qualifiers

/ECHO
Determines whether or not the equivalence  string  is  displayed  on your
screen
after the key has been pressed.  The default is /ECHO. You cannot use /NOECHO
with the /NOTERMINATE qualifier.

/PROTECT
Determines whether or not the key definition can be changed or deleted once the
definition is performed. /NOPROTECT is the default.

/IF_STATE=(state-name,...)
Specifies a list of one or more states, one of which must be in effect for the
key definition to be in effect. If you omit the /IF_STATE qualifier or use
/NOIF_STATE, the current state is used. The state name is an alphanumeric
string. States are established with the /SET_STATE qualifier or the SET KEY
command. If you specify only one state name, you can omit the parentheses. By
including several state names, you can define a key to have the same function
in
all the specified states.

/LOCK_STATE
Specifies that the state set by the /SET_STATE qualifier remain in effect until
explicitly changed. If you use the /NOLOCK_STATE qualifier, the state set by
/SET_STATE is in effect only for the next definable key that you press or for
the next read terminating character that you type.

The default is /NOLOCK_STATE. The /LOCK_STATE qualifier can only be specified
with the /SET_STATE qualifier.

/SET_STATE=state-name
Causes the specified state-name to be set when the key is pressed. The state
name can be any alphanumeric string.

If you omit the SET_STATE qualifier or use /NOSET_STATE, the current state that
was locked remains in effect. If you have not included this qualifier with a
key
definition, you can use the SET KEY command to change the current state.

/TERMINATE
Specifies whether or not the current equivalence string is to be terminated
(that is, processed) when the key is pressed. The default is /NOTERMINATE,
which
allows you to press other keys before the equivalence string is processed.
Pressing RETURN has the same effect as using /TERMINATE.

The /NOTERMINATE qualifier allows you to create key definitions that insert
text
into command lines, after prompts, or into other text that you are typing.

--
                                     Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
                                     Miami Computing and Information Services