MU-VMS Archives

May 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
aaron t porter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 13:57:59 -0500
George Greer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: > Maybe I'm just nuts--or just seriously mistaken--but I thought, based on
: > having read it in several articles, that M$ was discontinuing NT for the
: > Alpha, starting with 5.0 (as well as abandoning PPC ports). Something
: > about the market not being there....

: Last I heard they were only supporting Intel and Alpha, dropping PowerPC.

        They are dropping the PowerPC and MIPS ports.  IBM and Apple never
did the unified hardware thing, and RS6k boxes still sell with AIX on
them.  The number of companies selling MIPS hardware has dropped, and no
one in their right mind would try to load NT on a semi-new SGI.  Not too
hard to understand.  NT on the Alpha with FX!32 is not a bad alternative
to Intel though...  they need to start marketing some MP desktops.