MU-VMS Archives

November 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
George Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:34:20 -0500
Clayton L. Hines <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
> I've heard that VMS has a number of strong points where UNIX is lacking
> -- VMS has multiple levels of security, where UNIX has only root and
> peons, is the one I've heard most often -- but I, like yourself, am

Unless you fiddle around with /etc/group, then you can give people
multiple levels, or something near it.  Like there is an 'lp' group for
people allowed to print to the laser printers from the Linux machine.
A group of people allowed to edit the /etc/aliases file.  Another group
for people allowed to edit the central web page on this machine.
In the future the 'operator' group might be fleshed out to actually
have some people in it.

> anxious to hear a real defense of its cryptic directory syntax (now do I
> use square braces here, or a colon?), its confusing file names (well I
> didn't need the explicit version number to CREATE the $&*# file!), and
> its tiny user base (where's comp.os.vms.* ?).

Ever try to get to
/archive/systems/linux/sunsite/distributions/slackware/slakware/a1
without multiple change/list directories and without ever going there
before? Tab completion. (Example is a NFS-mounted wuarchive in Seattle,
going to
SunSITE.unc.edu, going to Ftp.cdrom.com, which are all mirrored on the
archive
I believe. With 72 gigs online I would assume they're mirrors) :)

I've played around on VAXen type machines, mostly Muhaxp.ham.muohio.edu
because MiaVX1 is so slow (50 users normally, compared to Muhaxp's 1)
I figured out how to forward mail, ftp, telnet, read mail, random little
file
handling (delete, rename), but never anything productive.  I STILL have no
idea how to change directories, make them, or look anywhere but my home.
But I would have to thank Jason Portwood for his dir/copy/move aliases to
get me through those first times in working with Linux :) (they're system
default for everyone)

George