MU-VMS Archives

April 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 1995 11:55:14 EST
PMONGEAU AT MIAMIU
In article <1995Apr11.082526.43418@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Kent
Covert) says:

>In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
>writes:
>> How do I download a file from the Vax using Kermit?  I have a file on
>> "borrowed" (i.e., temporary) disk space and need to know relatively quickly.
>
>There is a handout available from 352 Gaskill that outlines this.

Yes, I figured as much, but at the time I was in too much of a hurry to run
over there.  Thanks for the reminder though.  Are the handouts also still at
Hughes?

>Basically you need to follow the steps below:
>
>1)  Issue the command KERMIT at the $ prompt.
>2)  Issue the comamnd SERVER at the C-Kermit> prompt.
>
>On a PC:
>  3)    Press Alt-X to get to the MS-KERMIT> prompt.
>  4)    Issue the command GET fname.ext where 'fname.ext' is the file you
>        want to download.
>  5)    Issue the command FINISH to end the Kermit Server session.
>  6)    Type C to return to your OpenVMS session.

Since I use an IBM, I'll snip the MAC stuff...

>7)  Issue the command EXIT at the C-Kermit> prompt to return to the $
>prompt.

So essentially, these are Kermit commands and not VAX commands?  These
are the same steps I use to upload from the VM (I know, ACK WRETCH).
>--
>                                     Kent Covert, Software Coordinator

SNIP....

Thanks, Kent.  One more thing...why is it taking 2-3 days for a MU.*
group to post a message?

Paul Mongeau