MU-VMS Archives

May 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"E. Asa Bour" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 19:31:37 -0700
Hi,

I would like to respond to your replies.  Sorry, I was not real clear... I am
 for more student organizations getting larger disk quotas, if
they use the space wisely.  Which I am sure your organizations would do.  My
 concern was where that space would come from and the expense.  I
am sorry if you thought I was flaming you.  ASG has had  to work just as hard to
 get space as you do for your organizations.  Tom Adams has
done a wonderful job with technology for students and getting space for ASG to
 help the students.  I was a little over zealous, when I was
speaking of the services that ASG provides students via its www page.  I am very
 proud of the direction that ASG is heading when it comes to
technology, I hope after Tom graduates this year that we can continue in the
 direction he set.

Robert, what organizations are you working on www pages for?  What would you
 like to do with the space if you could get more than the small
limit that is placed now?

Josh, I am not hiding anything.  ASG is using its resources to the full
 potential that they can be used.  No, I am not "keeping a little of
ASG's space" for my own personal use.  If you are interested we can meet in the
 ASG office and I can show you what exactly we do with our space
and what services we provide with it.  I would be happy with any input you could
 give.

Robert, ASG is not the most unified organzation and I admit that the Miami
 Student published some articles making the organization look
unprofessional.  I ran this year to improve that image and technology on campus
 for every student.  Looking back at my previous posts, I wasn't
really supporting student organizations as much as I should have.  I think that
 student organizations should get more space.  I contacted U of
Dayton and every student gets 5megs of space.  I mass e-mailed the students and
 I got 391 replies (totalling almost 600 pages if I printed
them) of students telling me they wanted more space, a better e-mail system, the
 "helpless desk" reorganized, a student www directory, and
printers in every quad.  I hope to somehow improve space allocations by talking
 to MCIS about putting up an automated way of requesting more
space via www page. Once students get Eudura this fall, they will be able to
 download their e-mail and save space on their accounts for www
stuff.  ASG is working with MCIS to make brochures that go to all first year
 students about this.  This will help students use existing space
better.

Giving students Eudra was one of the ideas I ran on, and I found out from Kent
 that it is going into effect this fall.  I congratulate MCIS on
a wondeful idea. I also thought that an online student www directory would be
 nice, however, I found out that John Harlam is working on that.
A great deal of good things are happening.  My goal is to help students and
 their organizations with technolgy.  I think any organization that
uses space wisely deserves it and I am sorry if I offended anyone.  Does anyone
 have any ideas for an automated quota method via a www page?

Side Note:  These are my own personal views and not the official ASG cabinet
 view...