MU-VMS Archives

November 1993

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1993 17:26:39 -0500
Kent Covert ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
:                            OpenVMS Upgrade Approved!

: Miami Computing and Information Services, in cooperation with Digital
Equipment
: Corporation, is pleased to announce that a new OpenVMS system has been
ordered
: to replace the overloaded VAX 6000-410 in Kreger Hall.  The new system will
be a
: DEC 4000-710 AXP and is based on the new DEC Alpha family of processors.

[...]
: MCIS estimates that 80% of the clients using the current system will see no
: change (other than a significant speed increase) as a result of the migration
: the new system.

Question:

So what kind of effect do you suppose this is going to have on the network
that already bogs down when the vax gets 20+ users on it when we start
increasing that traffic?  Or is MCIS planning on upgrading or segmenting
this network?

Or is the bottleneck in the dataswitch?

| Mike Jones | NeXT Administrator                             /  \       |
|------------| Internet  : [log in to unmask]    /\/\/\  /\  |
|   ByTor    | Compu$erve: 73353,1134                   /\  /      \/  \ |