MU-VMS Archives

May 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lord High Fixer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 11:29:50 EDT
Here's something odd I've been noticing lately.

When I startup NEWS via an NNTP feed, I'm getting really
strange numbers for the number of messages in a newsgroup.

For example, comp.os.vms reportedly had 2343 messages in
it, when in reality it has around 255.  Other groups are
the same comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard showed 10000+ messages
and junk showed 300,000+ messages.

If I go into the group, the number of messages gets
changed to reflect the correct amount.

I'm assuming this has something to do with connecting
via NNTP, and it does seem like incorrect behavior.

Just letting you all know!

--
Bill Sylvester, Miami University         [log in to unmask]