MU-VMS Archives

March 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Aaron D. Yonka" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:15:12 -0500
Sorry for the somewhat rampant crossposting, but I'm not certain where this
goes.

There seems to be a significant problem with the Gandalf data switch this
evening (10:00 pm, 3/21/95).  If one is able to get a modem connection, classes
v1, phoenix, and casnext all respond with

SERVICE BUSY
n USERS WAITING
DO YOU WISH TO WAIT?

Where n is some number, depending on the chosen above service (3, 0, and 0,
respectively when I tried it).

However, class miavx1 allowed an immediate connection.  In fact, that's what
I'm using now.  I thought the SERVICE BUSY happened only on class miavx1, and
never the other ones.  Am I confused here?  Could someone explain why this is
the case?

Other statistics that might be of use.  As soon as I connected, I checked the
following systems and found their usage to be:

Machine         Number of Users
miavx1          96 users (118 processes)
miamiu          110 users, 0 dialed, 4 net (whatever those last two mean)
phoenix         5 users
casnext         8 users

What this seems to mean to me is that the data switch is unable to support the
number of modems we have, or the individual machines are "maxed out" with the
above connections (or close to them).  This is very odd to me.

Can someone shed light on this?  Or is this just another symptom of the
problems MU is having with the Gandalf?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

--
Aaron D. Yonka

[log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
http://phoenix.aps.muohio.edu/~adyonka/home.html