MU-VMS Archives

December 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Clayton L. Hines" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:41:09 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Kent Covert) wrote:
>I'm not sure I'm understanding 100% what you're asking for, but it sounds
>like you want a program to tell you how many new mail messages you have.
>Is this right?

I think Micah wants to be notified whenever he gets mail on VMS.

There's a spiffy little utility for UNIX called biff (named after the
author's dog, who always barked at the mailman) that will notify you when
new mail comes in, tell you who sent it and what the subject is, write the
first couple lines of the message, and accompany all that with a nice
little double-beep.

I thought that MiaVX1 did something similar by default.  I think maybe
Micah is turning this feature off when he logs in, maybe in his LOGIN.COM.

Clayton