MU-VMS Archives

July 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Kaelber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:25:31 -0500
Kent Covert ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> There is also a facility on VMS that is similar to MAKE.  It's called MMS.
> I've used it, but I don't know much about setting up MMS configuration
> files.  Issue the HELP MMS command for more information.

My understanding is that GNU Make was also ported to VMS as of the 3.75
release of Make. It would be really handy to have that ability on VMS to
make totally portable application distributions.

I'd be more than willing to get it and build it for VMS if we could put it
someplace where everyone could use it.

GNU Make is a wonderful, wonderful program that beats the pants off of all
the make utilities that come with Unix distributions for making truly
portable apps. MMS description files look a bit like Makefiles, but I
doubt Digital is going to port it to Unix, WinNT/95, and OS/2 anytime
soon. :)

--
   Randy Kaelber:  [log in to unmask]  http://avian.dars.muohio.edu/~randy/
        DARS Programmer/Analyst, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056 USA