MU-VMS Archives

March 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kent Covert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 17:51:13 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Burks
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I've been hearing a lot about OCEAN on the MU-VMS listserv.  I have a couple
> of simple question:  what is it, and what does it mean to me?
>
> Concerning the first question: Is OCEAN simply a different program or
> "environment" by which users can interact with the DEC machine I've been
> dealing using an MVS operating system from my MIAVX1 account?  Or is it
> actually another machine?
>
> Concerning the second question:  do I need to try to figure out how to use
> OCEAN?  I currently tend to use my MIAVX1 account primarily as a news reader.
>  Also, I have little patience for the arcane minutia required to be
> proficient with command-driven main-frame operating systems.  I tend to
> believe that all members of the university community should be able to use
> _all_ net services using relatively intuitive Macintosh clients, as was the
> case at my last post.  I view the use of main-frame operating systems here as
> I did the card-punch machines upon which I took my required FORTRAN course
> back when:  as cruel a anachronism which I have to endure to get where I want
> to go.  My thanks for any thoughtful answers.

Very good question.  I think it's best to answer both questions at the same
time.  OCEAN is a new VMS system based on the DEC Alpha processor (rather
than the VAX processor).  The DEC Alpha processor is a RISC based CPU
whereas the VAX was a CISC based CPU.  We are currently running both
systems in parallel and will replace the VAX with the Alpha at the end of
the semester.  The systems currently share the same disks, users, printers,
batch queues, etc.  At the end of the semester, the name MIAVX1 and the
name OCEAN will both refer to the Alpha system.

What does this mean to the end-user?  Primarily this means a significant
speed increase for the users.  Other than that, there is very little change
for the typical user.  OCEAN is running the same Operating System (OpenVMS)
and generally running the same applications as MIAVX1.  We estimate that
90% of our users will not notice a change (other than a significantly
faster system) when OCEAN becomes production.  The other 10% of the users
are primarily those that write their own programs and therefore need to
recompile their applications.  We are currently working with several
high-end users in this process.

How can you test the new system?  There are several ways:
    1) From the Gandalf Data Switch, choose class OCEAN from the "enter
        class" prompt.
    2) From the VAX, issue the command SET HOST OCEAN.
    3) From TELNET, connect to OCEAN.MUOHIO.EDU.
Users use the same username and password as they would on the MIAVX1
system.  Once logged on, users will see the same files that they see on
MIAVX1.

One note of caution, though...we are currently experiencing problems with
MAIL on OCEAN.  We do not currently recommend that you use MAIL on the
OCEAN system because of these problems (the OLDMAIL command does work
properly, though).  We are expecting a new version of our MAIL software
this month.  This new version should fix the problems in MAIL on OCEAN.
Watch this newsgroup for more information on this new version.

Other than MAIL, most applications are running fine on the OCEAN system
(including NEWS) and many people are already taking advantage of this new
system.  We urge users of the MIAVX1 system to try out the OCEAN system and
give us your feedback.

--
                                     Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
                                     Miami Computing and Information Services