MU-VMS Archives

January 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
March Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 1994 20:29:19 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Steve Madsen) writes:
>       * I get the connect message, actually get the Gandalf prompt, but
>         then it assumes I hit enter three times, kicks me off due to
>         invalid responses, while the entire time sending me a nice string
>         of beeps.  Joy.  This hasn't happened in awhile, but then I
>         haven't tried connecting with extras in a while.

I had this happen to me right before it crashed last week, with one
addition:  The stupid thing started beeping at me every time a letter
printed out to the screen.  I called Hughes, and the consultant said
no one else had reported any problems.  I gave up, and about 5 hrs
later, the Gandalf crashed (I found that out the next day).  I haven't
had the same problem since, but I was really pulling my hair out trying
to figure out what the problem was.

I'm still having the problem where I can hear the connect signal from
Gandalf, but no connect message appears and my terminal emulator
times out.  I don't have a v.42 bis modem (USR Sportster 14.4), so
that isn't the problem.  I still haven't figured out exactly why, but
it appears that I can connect only on certain modems.  I would assume
that it was the 9600 baud, but I can get on easier when traffic is
low.  From what I understand, the 14.4 are the main ones and the 9600
are the roll-overs.

I dunno.  I can connect to Basic Concepts on their 14.4.

John
--
Drivel of the year:
"...DOS is utterly unable to handle more than 1MB of memory.  Removing