MU-VMS Archives

July 1998

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:48:25 -0400
Outage notification:

       Type: Unplanned
Starting At: 12:00 AM on Friday, July 31st, 1998
  Ending At: 7:30 AM on Friday, July 31st, 1998
   Duration: 7 hours 30 minutes
  Posted by: SCHMIDKF

OpenVMS - problems

Last night from Midnight until 7:30 am this morning we were experiencing OpenVMS problems.

What was the problem:

Users on the MiaVX1 system this morning were receiving a "License expired"
message when they tried to connect to the system.

On OpenVMS, we have to install new licenses every year.  Technical Services received these licenses a couple months ago.  Copies of the licenses to the other OpenVMS administrators (Bill Sylvester - Hamilton, Lee Back - Middletown,
and Brad Lewis - Physical Facilities) and Kent tested them on his workstation
(LAGOON).  But it appears that he never got them installed them on the
production systems.

Therefore, at midnight last night, our licenses expired and the system
would no longer allow people to log in.  Kent recognized the problem this
morning when he tried to connect to the system and it was corrected by
approximately 7:30 am.

Kent is planning on writing a VERIFY module to look at important licenses on
the system and give an error if they are close to expiring.  This should
help prevent this problem in the future.

What services were affected:

Interactive logins, NNTP (News), and Ph.

Note:

WWW, Mail redirection, Mail forwarding, and paging services were probably not affected.

Also, tomorrow morning between 7:00 am and 8:00 am the OpenVMS machine called Stream will be re-booted.

 Services that will be affected:

WWW, News, Ph, PO

Notification was sent to:
MUOUTAGE
MU-VMS

This is a Service Outage Notification
from Miami University's Network Operations Center (NOC)