MU-VMS Archives

February 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
March Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 21:01:58 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Who's this Gerry person???) writes:
> Can someone help me with Kermit commands?  The Kermit I used to use was very
> simple.  I just typed GET FILE.NAME & hit PGDN to select the protocol on my
> PC+ software & that was it.  I've read HELP & tried SET FILE TYPE & then
> GET FILE.NAME, but I get a message reading "Command valid only when Kermit is
> local".  I'm really confused...

First of all, are you sending or receiving files?  If you type GET on a
Kermit, that Kermit will be the receiver.  You can only do this after you
set the other Kermit into server mode.

Second of all, there is another, easier (IMO), way.  To download, type
SEND FILENAME.EXT on the sending (VAX) Kermit.  Escape to your Kermit
and do a RECEIVE.  To upload, type on the VAX Kermit RECEIVE, then
escape to your local Kermit and tell it to SEND the file (exact details
vary on the program, of course).

Hope that clears that up,
John
--
Drivel of the year:
"...DOS is utterly unable to handle more than 1MB of memory.  Removing