MU-VMS Archives

March 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Aaron Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 16:33:52 -0500
Kent Covert ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: Actually, it's possible to get this message on any of the Gandalf classes,
: it's just more likely to happen on MIAVX1.  This message occurs when all of
: the ports available to a class are being used up.  For example, MIAVX1,
: which is a serial connection to the Alpha, has 7 lines.  That's why it
: fills up so easily.  The class MIAMIU has around 96 lines (I think).

: Classes V1, Phoenix, and CASNext are a little different.  Instead of being
: serial connections, these connections are made via a Telnet session.  These
: classes share a total of 64 Telnet ports.  Therefore, the message
: you received indicates that all telnet ports were being used (or there was
: another problem that I'm not aware of...does anyone in networking wish to
: comment?)

        Is there any way arround this?  I'd kinda gotten used to waiting
30-45 minutes to get a modem, but having to wait another 5-7 after I get
to hal to get to a service is really annoying.  Don't the Hughes vt's and
a whole host of other services also go into hal?

---
            http://nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu/~atporter