MU-VMS Archives

July 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
March Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 01:03:16 -0400
In article <1994Jul19.081225.27209@miavx1>,
[log in to unmask] (Kent Covert) wrote:
: In article <1994Jul19.014415.27207@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Michael Jones) writes:
: > Archie has now been ported to the Alpha and placed back in the MCUG
: > Libraries.  It works the same as it did on the old VAX.  Email MCUG_MGR
: > if you have difficulties or problems using it.
: >

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Thank you!  Thank you!  It's been difficult jumping
around machine to machine to use archie on one and ftp on the other.

: As to using pipes, the following seemed to work for me:
:     PIPE ARCHIE -S LINUX > RESULTS.TXT
: It did time out on me a couple of times.  I don't know if that was a
: problem with PIPE or with ARCHIE, though.
:

Unfortunately, it is the archie servers (or the connections between).
It's been getting worse and worse connecting
to any archie server [that I know of, anyways] anywhere on any machine.  I.E.,
it's not a VAX (Alpha) or pipe problem because I'm always getting timed
out these days whether I use OLDVAX, PHOENIX, etc.  It appears that ever
since the "information highway" has become "in," it just keeps getting
worse and that archie servers just seem to be among the hardest hit.

John
---
John (the other) Carmack