MU-VMS Archives

September 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ralph Goodpaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:48:14 -0500
How do I run a (noninteractive) process in the backgound?  I've tried
various commands.  I use to use submit, but that seems to only work for
simple DCL scripts.  I tried calling my program from such a script, but
nothing appeared to happened and I never got any kind of notification
about what happened.

The OpenVMS books led me to believe that I could use spawn, but if I spawn
it kinda gets stuck there... My process is running, but it isnt in the
background and if I terminate connection it stops.

So I'm at a loss here, can anyone tell how to run a compiled C program in
the background when I'm not logged in?

thanks alot, ralph