MU-VMS Archives

April 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 1994 14:12:09 -0500
Democ ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Hey all,
:         Does anyone have a list or know of any RFCs or FAQs that contain a
: listing of WWW http sites.  I am rather new to the whole WWW system (thanks
: Kent I know a little) but I am interested in learning more.  If you have any
: info that could help, please send me mail.

This is posted to the newsgroup and also sent in mail because there might
be more people interested...

I can suggest a couple of places to go.  Since the new MiamiLINK system is
based on World Wide Web, the instructions involve connecting to the
Library in some respect.

If you telnet to MiamiLINK, on the second page there is a choice labeled
"About MiamiLINK".  The first hot-spot link on that page is "World Wide Web",
which will take you to a description of the project, software packages and
other tidbits about WWW.  This page is located in CERN.  More information
can be found in MiamiLINK if you hit the "?" key and look at the
"Help on HTML", "HTML Quick Reference Guide", and "Help on URL's" pages.
Most of this information points to the WWW/Mosaic development at NCSA in
Illinois.

If you are at a place with a WWW viewer such as Mosaic, the URL to get
to the MiamiLINK system is:   http://www.lib.muohio.edu/
(simple enough, eh).

Rob Pickering also has some good information on his server.  The URL to
get to him is:   http://pheonix.aps.muohio.edu/
There isn't an easy way to get to him from MiamiLINK (yet, that should
change in the early summer).  If you are on OCEAN, you can preceed the
above URL with the command "LYNX" to get to his page.

Hope this helps you get started...

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager        [log in to unmask]
King Library Technical Support                      [log in to unmask]