MU-VMS Archives

December 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Micah James Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:22:22 -0500
Clayton L. Hines ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> I think Micah wants to be notified whenever he gets mail on VMS.

Actually, what happened was that biff doesn't seem to work right for me on
phoenix so I wrote a little perl script that basically ran 'messages'
every bit or so.  My girlfriend saw it and wanted all sorts of things done
to it.  Then she said, "Now make it for the VAX."  Well, of course
messages doesn't work, so I thought I'd ask what the command was on the
VAX, forgetting that it has that little message thing (everything forwards
to my phoenix account).  So, then when it became obvious I made a fool of
myself, I tried to back out gracefully, which of course, didn't work.  ;)

Anyway, thanks Kent -- that idea looks as if it would do what I wanted
(and it would still be nice to be able to manually type a command to check
the mail folder) because I get bored and like to type 'messages'.  So,
thanks to one and all! :)

-m.

Micah James Cooper      If a liar and deceiver comes and says, 'I will
[log in to unmask]     prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,' he would
                        be just the prophet for this people! Micah 2:11 (NIV)