MU-VMS Archives

May 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 23:30:28 -0500
In article <1996May7.181627@miavx1>, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> For those who request DNS names, will additional server space be made
> available?  Will one be required to provide their own web server, or will
> additional space be made available on the Alpha?  If so, how much space are we
> talking here?  I would think that additional space would go hand in hand with
> a DNS.  Also, will DNS names be available in a limited amount, or free for tho
se
> that ask?

While I can't address whether or how static Internet Protocol (IP) numbers and
Domain Name Service (DNS) will be provided to students in the residence halls,
I *can* say that Miami's policy continues to be that World Wide Web (WWW)
server activity is primarily supported from the Digital OpenVMS cluster in
Oxford (MiaVX1), for students, staff, faculty and departments, with disk quota
increases as needed / requested / possible :-)

It is definitely recognized that there are and will be students who will want
to mount web servers, etc., from their rooms, and that doing so can have
definite instructional benefits.  To the extent that it can be done in an
appropriate way, without compromising either the security or the functionality
of MUnet as a whole, I'm confident the University will find ways to facilitate
such activities.  The hows and wherefores of that facilitation remain to be
determined obviously.

John

--
                                John B Harlan
             Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator