MU-VMS Archives

March 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Beekman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 18:46:12 -0500

[log in to unmask] (Robert E. Williams, Jr.) writes:
> > In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thse VAX (on node SEA) and the POP server appear to be running very slow
> >> tonight.  Was there any large batch files running that could have been a
> > cause?
> >> Just wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

> Actually, this is the first I've heard of this nighttime problem.  If you
> can give me information about the times that it's happening, I'll try to
> track down the cause.

Just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing the POP problem right
now (6:30PM 3/3).  I've had the same problem before, but my experience has
been if I give it a couple hours, it will be OK again.

The specific problem is that, when I attempt to check mail via Eudora, I
get the status window saying "Contacting miavx1.muohio.edu (134.53.7.10)"
and then it just sits there and waves at me until it decides it's waited
long enough, then I get a "Server not responding" alert.
I can log in to the VAX fine and get my mail that way.
I haven't had any trouble with the VAX being slow, just this Eudora problem
(which I guess amounts to more of an annoyance than a problem).

Just thought I would add my two cents.

Dan Beekman