MU-VMS Archives

March 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 10:18:59 -0500
I've been hearing a lot about OCEAN on the MU-VMS listserv.  I have a couple
of simple question:  what is it, and what does it mean to me?

Concerning the first question: Is OCEAN simply a different program or
"environment" by which users can interact with the DEC machine I've been
dealing using an MVS operating system from my MIAVX1 account?  Or is it
actually another machine?

Concerning the second question:  do I need to try to figure out how to use
OCEAN?  I currently tend to use my MIAVX1 account primarily as a news reader.
 Also, I have little patience for the arcane minutia required to be
proficient with command-driven main-frame operating systems.  I tend to
believe that all members of the university community should be able to use
_all_ net services using relatively intuitive Macintosh clients, as was the
case at my last post.  I view the use of main-frame operating systems here as
I did the card-punch machines upon which I took my required FORTRAN course
back when:  as cruel a anachronism which I have to endure to get where I want
to go.  My thanks for any thoughtful answers.

--Chuck Burks