MU-VMS Archives

May 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis S. Keeler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 1994 15:04:03 -0500
In article <1994May21.144703.1@miavx2>, [log in to unmask] (Lord
High Fixer) writes:
> In article <1994May21.095728.25666@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Dennis S. Keeler) writes:
>> info. I'm just trying to spread the word so our internet usage can remain
>> unmetered (and free for those of us affiliated with MU).
>
>       Free?  And where did you get the idea that internet
>       access was free?  Miami University pays a large fee
>       to OARNet for service which includes internet access.
>
>       And where do think Miami gets it's money to pay for this????

        Sorry to be unclear. By free I meant an individual
student, faculty, or staff member does not have to pay Miami or anyone else for
access. Nor do we have to pay a certain amount for each e-mail message we send.
I know that internet access cost Miami a lot and it comes out of my tuition
money. But that cost is spread among 16,000 people, so it probably doesn't
affect any one person's tuition that much (correct me if I am wrong). Some
might argue this is unfair, but then I could say, "I've been in the art and
architecture library once in my life. Why should I pay for it?" I have no
problem paying for that library and I don't see why students should mind paying
for the internet corporately.
--
Dennis S. Keeler                |  "Greater love has no one than this, that
Miami University                |    he lay down his life for his friends."