MU-VMS Archives

February 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
March Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 20:30:08 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes:
>    OK, I have another problem.  The other day, I went into news, and as soon
as
> it said "Reading NEWSRC.", it crashed and didn't go into news.  So I deleted
> NEWSRC., and was then able to get into news.  But now if I ^Z out of news and
> new NEWSRC. is created, the same problem occurs when it tries to read the
file
> when I try to go back in.
>    Anyone?
>
>                                                        - derek

News gets very upset when it runs out of disk space, and it will
mercilessly crash without warning.  Do a SHOW QUOTA and make sure you
have enough disk space.  You need to have at least enough to hold another
copy of NEWSRC., because your old one is kept until you exit out.

But, consider this also:  leaving just enough may not be good enough.
I have been in news before and could not exit out because of receiving
mail.  Bummer!

BTW - On MIAVX1, I used to be able to SPAWN out of news and do some
cleaning up.  On OCEAN, though, I can't do that.  It tries to spawn
out, but just jumps right back.  Is this OCEAN, or has another patch
been put into News?

John
--
Drivel of the year:
"...DOS is utterly unable to handle more than 1MB of memory.  Removing