MU-VMS Archives

March 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:22:38 -0500
In article <1995Jan5.153236.36465@miavx1>, [log in to unmask] (Aaron
D. Yonka) writes:
> In article <1995Jan1.223134.36342@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Kent Covert) writes:
>> In article <1994Dec30.235508.36309@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
writes:
>>>         I'm desperately looking for a Zmodem or Ymodem-G transfer proggy on
the
>>> Alpha that will allow multiple file transfers.  I get tired of typing in
case
>>> INsensitively specific file names.  Especially when I snag Amiga FTP file
names
>>> that are over 15 characters long and VMS decides to add ambigous "$" in the
>>> file name.
>>>         I'm currently using ADYONKA public MCUG login.ocm "SZ" zmodem
proggy.
>>> Thanks in advance.  (if anyone reads this ;(
>>
>> I'm going to copy this message to mu.vms also. That is a much better
>> location for this discussion.
>>
>> I don't understand how a different version of Zmodem or Ymodem-G will help
>> your problem.  VMS filenames will always be case insensitive regardless of
>> the transfer program you're using.  The extra $'s are VMS FTP's way of
>> telling you that it couldn't accurately reproduce the file name.  If you
>> want a better filename put it on the "get" command after the remote file
>> name.  For example,
>>
>>   ftp.somewhere.net> get WierdCasedFilename.TxT vmsfilename.txt

        Sorry Kent I guess I should've been more specific?!  Anyhow, let's say
I do a Multi-file FTP transfer using MGET fileswith*.*, which I do quite often,
and would do more often if I didn't have the problem I'm going to further
explain.  Let's say I have 20 files in my directory and I want to download
them.  With the current Zmodem I can't use any wildcards say SZ *.* which would
alleviate a tremendous amount of time I currently spend waiting for a transfer
to end, and then I type in the next file name.  Like you stated the extra $'s
are the VMS FTP's way of attempting to reproduce a file.  Most of the files I
FTP originate as example; ThisisoneLong.file_name.lha (AMigaOS doesn't place
too many
stipulations on file names/length.  Other file types give me problems also)  So
this file comes into the VMS as something like;

This$som$el$o$n$g$$5n.f$i$l$e5nlha
        So the current SZ requires me to type this file name VERBATUM before
sending which is just a hassle, furthermore no multi-file transfers which is
one of the reasons to use a multi-file-transfer protocol isn't?  With some
initial thought computers are supposed to cut down on repetitive tasks, aren't
they?  HELP!

> I think the problem the user is experiencing is as follows:
>
> Let's assume I have a bunch of files in my directory that I want to download,
> say ONE.TXT TWO.ZIP THREE.EXE FOUR.GIF and I want to download them using
> Z-modem.  Let's also assume these are the only files in that directory. The
> obvious solution should be
>
> $ SZ *.*
>
> but the Z-modem program does not accept the * wildcard, so it would seem.
The
> only solution I've been able to use is
>
> $ SZ ONE.TXT TWO.ZIP THREE.EXE FOUR.GIF
>
> On Phoenix and on the NeXT's, UNIX allows us to
>
> sz *
>
> But is there a way to do this on the VMS version?
>
> (Even if this is not what the user is wondering, I would love to know the
> answer too!)
> --

        DITTO...... ;)

.    ///      a sTATE oF mIND              4000/040.cd32.sk8'n.paint'n  .
.\\\/// [log in to unmask]  record'n.climb'n.trIp'n.slak'n.
. \///                                                code'n            .
..........\/oi[)...4.gIGZ.AMiGA/IBM.(513)855-3831...tIME lORD............