MU-VMS Archives

January 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 16:22:36 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (March Hare) says:

>Thanks for posting the Hayes commands, Joe.  Those don't exactly
>match my modem manual, but may solve my problems entirely.  Of course,
>hayes-compatibility varies from modem to modem.
>
>What about RTS signalling?  Is that supported, or should I leave it
>disabled?
RTS signalling probably means hardware flow control.  The hardware
signals are RTS (ready to send  i.e. this humble computer requests
permission to send data) and CTS (clear to send  this modem would
be happy to accept your data).
If you have an internal modem flow control, DTE data rate ...
is all smoke and mirrors.  The motherboard buss just does it.
If you have an external modem, the plot thickens.  There is a
cable between you modem and computer.  If this modem passes
RTS/CTS you can use hardware flow control.  On a "standard"
DB25 connector these are pins 4 and 5.  If you have a mac your
cable may not support flow control.  Then you would have to
purchase a new cable to get the benefits of hardware flow
control.
Soooo...  The answer to your question is: if you have an internal
modem don't worry about flow control other than to turn off
and software flow control that might be on.  If you have an
external modem, experiment with hardware flow control.
The sympton of hardware flow control problems is that the system
works fine for an indeterminate period of time, then "hangs"
whan a data overrun occurs.
Joe Simpson