MU-VMS Archives

October 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Carman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 05:00:05 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
 [log in to unmask] (Micah James Cooper) writes:
> Chris Carman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>> Just wanted to ask if the ability to do <!-- #exec file="script.pl" -->
 within
>> a web site is ever going to be implemented on the OpenVMS.  We already have
>> <!-- #include file="filename.ext" --> and <!-- #echo ... -->, and I'd really
>> like to run random scripts within my web pages, especially "You are the nth
>> person to access this site today!".  Thanks!
>
> It would probably slow down the VAX server and some people don't like that
> ;)

No more than /cgi/~username/script.pl does, I would guess.

> The IP numbers are static enough you could probably get away with putting
> a web server on your machine and making your VAX page refer to it.  Just
> don't leave it off for over 24 hours ;)  (or, write a little script that

So if I restart my computer now, it'll have the same IP address?  Hmmm..
-Chris Carman
-http://www.muohio.edu/~carmance/
-http://www.foofighters.com/foo