MU-VMS Archives

November 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Kaelber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:31:14 -0500
Chris Carman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Shouldn't the process ID change every time it's run?  Basically, all I want is
> a unique number every time this script I'm working on is run, and although it
> wouldn't be a problem to put in a little counter subroutine, I just figured a
> process ID would be easier.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

What you're up against is OpenVMS, unlike the UNIX variants, does not fork
a new process everytime you run a command. So, you're getting the process
ID of your DCL process. Before we can address what you need to do instead,
what is that that you're wanting to accomplish with the unique number?

--
Randy Kaelber:  [log in to unmask]
DARS Programmer/Analyst, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056 USA