MUCWFAC Archives

November 2011

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Schloss, David Mr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:11:41 -0500
Dear Eric,

I concur about our response to PW lines. They could also easily take the Lectureships and we'll be left with nothing. Then Lit would have 1st ranking for 18th C. and our choice would be limited to CNF! I highly doubt that 2 lines would be founded under the current austerity program. Reminds me of Ireland's.

As for ranking preferences within our CNF request, I've heard much more desire for screenwriting than anything else from myriad students over time. Perhaps Eco/Science Writing would garner interest, but that's theoretical, because it requires a science interest and background that most English majors don't particularly have.. It mightn gather students from around the university, however. I'd have thought that Latino/latina lit could be taught by some present staff (Julia Minich)? Native American is not much represented here, but then again, I've never heard a request for it, either. If we build diversity they will come seems to be the rationale. Until Miami is more truly diverse, I think more diverse literatures will not be a major desire for our majors--but I could be very wrong about all this.

David