MUCWFAC Archives

March 2015

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:54:23 -0400
Hi all,

I've written Jessie Motts to ask her for her CV and a list of
achievements, and will get going on the nomination letter. The award
requires one or two (ideally two) other letters of support. I think
Eric and Jody have worked with Jessie but maybe all of you have?
Please let me know who's up for writing a short letter by this
weekend. I'll forward you Jessie's materials as soon as she sends them
to me.

The letter should focus on the student's "outstanding record of
academic achievement and sustained and significant contributions to
the intellectual climate of a department, an academic division, or the
campus."

Thank you all, and apologies for bothering you during break!

Cathy

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> She's great. Good idea. I'll give it till tonight for you all to weigh
> in and then I'd better get in touch with the student & get going on
> the letter. Thanks Eric and all.
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Goodman, Eric <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Jessie Motts seems like a possibility.  She took both intensive workshops
>> during the 2014 Winter Term, and is also part of the BA/MA in French.  She's
>> now in a class with Keith.   I think she won quite a few Dept Scholarships
>> last spring for this year.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Do we have a CW junior we can nominate for the Provost's Student
>>> Academic Achievement Award? We need a current junior with an
>>> "outstanding record of academic achievement and sustained and
>>> significant contributions to the intellectual climate of a department,
>>> an academic division, or the campus."
>>>
>>> I would write a short letter of support, and so would one of you, and
>>> we'd need to reach the student to get hold of a CV, and we'd submit
>>> everything within a couple of days. So if you have an outstanding
>>> person we should support, let me know asap.
>>>
>>> The student would get a $1000 scholarship with the award.
>>>
>>> Thanks all,
>>> Cathy
>>>
>>> The Provost's Student Academic Achievement Award (PSAAA) is given
>>> annually to students who have achieved an outstanding record of
>>> academic excellence. The selection committee reviews nominations and
>>> awards 10–15 students with a $1000 scholarship and certificate of
>>> recognition.
>>>
>>> Students nominated for this award must have obtained the following:
>>>
>>> Junior status (minimum of 75 credit hours) at the time of
>>> application/nomination
>>> Outstanding record of academic achievement and sustained and
>>> significant contributions to the intellectual climate of a department,
>>> an academic division, or the campus
>>>
>>> Past award winners typically have made outstanding contributions to
>>> the field or discipline beyond the typical course and major
>>> requirements.  For example, many of the winners have presented or
>>> published their work in national outlets, earned a prestigious
>>> national or international fellowship, or won a major national or
>>> regional competition in their field of study.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Director, Creative Writing
>>> Assistant Director, Literary London Program
>>> Professor, English
>>> Miami University
>>> 314 Bachelor Hall
>>> Oxford OH 45056