MUCWFAC Archives

October 2011

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Schloss, David Mr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:11:32 -0400
Dear cris (and everyone),

I thought I was the only one with a hearing issue... The room was maybe too noisy, but I sincerely (but lightly) said that I thought you, cris, had committed to RUN the program (when I knew that you hadn't quite, officially, even slid your hat into the carnival ring. And we all know by now it's not CW's decision to make, finally).

Or: I was in some alternate reality in relation to whatever came out of my mouth: I was certainly THINKING "run" not "wreck," in any case! (I'm sure of that, at least). I do now realize the tenor of the conversation after that, which somewhat mystified me at certain points, is much clearer now...

If nothing else, this seems to have had the good effect of provoking this response from you. It illustrates the lively ideas and energy that I have come to expect from you. I may not have been certain that you wanted to take this on--but I certainly think you are quite qualified to do the job, and improve it in any ways that are/become practically possible. So, I think you should do this, even if I wasn't sure before how serious you were about being willing to actually do it. I meant to lightly question how spontaneous and unthought-through that gesture to consider being director was. This email below fully answers that, I think.

I often find myself speaking to the quizzical looks on the faces of my auditors, because I've responded to what I THOUGHT they said, but guessed wrong. I hope my words didn't strike some deep hidden counter-desire in you about the program. I really doubt that--our conversation became one in the spirit of the Pranksters in the room, I think!

Anyway, thanks for these considerations, come what may.

David