MUCWFAC Archives

June 2014

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2014 10:24:12 -0400
I agree with cris that it would be fantastic for our creative writing
program at large (BA and MA) to have this option, too. It sounds like
Eric's talking specifically about the low-res right now (because of
"mentorships") but I'd support the idea for all our offerings. Eric,
not sure whether you are differentiating between "hybrid" projects and
multi-genre here -- no reason we couldn't offer both, but they seem
different to me (maybe "mixed genres" would be a compromise term?).
Anyway, if we offered such a track, it would be good to hire at least
one person for students on that track to work with who does "hybrid"
work, who could direct them to interesting work in that vein and model
a practice. Some students might want to dabble in fiction and poetry
and some students might want to develop a "hybrid" body of work, and
we could cater to both, assuming we are talking about mentorships for
now, vs. MA curriculum. I think we could be pretty flexible about it.
Ideally we'd have at least one hire who'd be able to teach "hybrid"
writing as well as either fiction or poetry and the student could
choose the focus of the course with that hire.

So in answer to the practical question -- we could tell students on a
"mixed genre" (?) track to take at least one of their mentorships as a
"hybrid/multigenre" course, plus one fiction and one poetry. The
"hybrid" course could always be taken in the second year, so that we
would know ahead of time as students decided their tracks what sort of
hiring we'd need to do. ??

Cathy