MUCWFAC Archives

April 2013

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:14:48 -0400
Keith is right, we'd need to identify three or four people and hit
them up right away, given the Weds deadline. I will put the list of
folks we put together ahead of the conference in a reply to this email
-- some of them could be hit up.

Here is what else you need, cris (and I pasted your TAUT conference
flier text in here). I have just worked on 2 AWP proposals and don't
want to write another, but I will spill what I know here --

You need a 500-character event description and a 500-character
statement of merit (including spaces!). The merit statement tells the
judges why your event is important for attendeeds to hear.

You have to propose ONE "type of event" and I guess it would be this:

Hybrid Genre Issues: These presentations focus on topics of craft that
apply to more than one literary genre, including issues pertaining to
writing for social justice; ethnic representation, environmental
issues, religion, science, cultural trends and upheavals; the creative
process; mixed media collaborations; and literary or cultural theory.

But I would note in the Statement of Merit that the topic would be of
interest to people who want to go to Fiction Craft & Criticism or
Poetry Craft & Criticism or Nonfiction Craft & Criticism panels.

Here is your TAUT flier description, very slightly tweaked just now by
me -- I think it's decent, lively, but it still needs to be reduced
150 characters (including spaces), and it needs to be reframed as
"this is what our panel will discuss." As Keith said, you'd mention
the conference.

We all know that prose can be poetic and poetry can be prosaic: but
between the discrete genres of Fiction and Poetry, a common land of
hybrid creative writing forms, less easy to classify, is blooming.
Such writing often takes short form. Lately, traditions including the
prose poem, the fable, the anecdote, the pensée and the philosophical
fragment are appearing increasingly lively. Joined with sudden
fiction, flash fiction, the creative non-fiction essay and the
anecdote, a trend becomes apparent. Toss the popularity of texted and
tweeted narratives, the creative use of status updates, the billboard,
the scrolling LED, the comic strip and art-neon into that brew and an
energetic field of creative writing practice emerges, ripe to be
celebrated and discussed.

Here is a sample event description that made it last year:

A Congerie of Voices: Vernacular and Diction in Contemporary Poetry.
(Carmen Gimenez Smith, Joanna Fuhrman, Samuel Amadon, Lara Glenum,
Rodrigo Toscano)

Many contemporary poets appropriate the lexicon and syntax of foreign
or marginal languages, often adopting the slang of a particular
historical moment. These linguistic choices may be charged with
political or cultural resistance, or they may be purely aesthetic.
This panel will discuss the various possibilities and implications of
appropriating and subverting foreign or marginal dictions in poems and
what these explorations mean to the future of poetry.